Sunday, July 6, 2008

finally got it right!

sooo...it's been a while since I last wrote. Still been practicing every day, tho some more than others. Still moving through my Alfred's book (just finished little brown jug [not the best song ever] and started Chiapanecas), but that's not the big deal here.....

the big deal is I started learning a song two weeks ago called Arctic Night by Gilbert DeBenedetti.....I really liked the way it sounded and thought I had a shot at it, and finally after two weeks of daily practice, I just played it correctly without making any mistakes for the first time.....played it at the right tempo with the right dynamics, played it just as I wanted to.....I had to learn this song, from the beginning, measure by measure, note by note, and each tiny piece was at the limits of my skill level.....but I made it.....

the funny thing is: I finally played it correctly after I took the sheet music off of the piano, and just played it from memory....I could just focus on hearing the right sounds internally, rather than focusing any energy on reading off the sheet.......

side note: I had put the whole recording thing on hold because I wanted to get this song down before I started recording, but I have the 50ft. RCA cable now, should be up 'n running shortly........the only point of contention with that is I'm flying out to Wisconsin this week for a job interview.....

i'll keep you posted.

zak

No comments: